Recently I started attending Chicagoland library genealogy group meetings.
What do these two genealogy groups offer members?
- Free admission. There are no society dues.
- Great blogs with fantastic content!
- Program handouts.
- Amazing, knowledgeable speakers.
- The chance to connect with others who share your genealogical passion.
- Genealogy research areas in their libraries.
I have yet to attend a meeting at the Darien Indian Prairie Library but it is on my list to do before the year ends!
I belong to a few area societies but cannot always, or do not always wish to make their meetings. If there is a speaker I have heard give the same presentation before or something that is just way outside my research work I will choose to attend something else. It is a great idea to keep these libraries in mind when searching for a genealogy society or group to join.
I am compiling list of as many area groups as I can find so keep checking back. If you know of a group, please let me know in the comment section.
- Tony’s Schaumburg Library Genealogy Group (examiner.com)
- Genealogy Author David R. Dowell to Visit Chicago (examiner.com)
- Illinois State Genealogical Society Press Release FGS2011 (generationsbiz.com)